Lower Trent Conservation is celebrating its 50th anniversary! To celebrate this milestone, we will be releasing a ’50 in 50′ historical blog series throughout the year – 50 articles highlighting some of the achievements, milestones and events of the past 50 years.
Since the passing of the Conservation Authorities Act in 1946, the conservation movement in Ontario has been a movement by the people and for the people. Local initiative is the strength and success of every conservation authority. Without this local motivation, a conservation authority cannot be formed. The community must first recognize the need for environmental action and request the provincial government to form a conservation authority. In making the request, local municipalities must be willing to contribute financially to the work of the authority and face the responsibility of directing it.
For the people living within the Lower Trent watershed region, the programs and services of Lower Trent Conservation are focused on the Trent River valley and the watersheds of eight main tributaries, as well as areas that flow directly into Lake Ontario and the Bay of Quinte between Grafton and Quinte West.
In 1968, the watershed included all or portions of 17 municipalities. Each municipality appointed representatives to the Board of Directors. As the provincial government also shared the financial responsibility of operating the Conservation Authority, three provincial representatives were also appointed to the Board.
The role of the Board is to oversee the annual budget and conservation activities of the organization. The Board also establishes policies that govern the operation of the Conservation Authority.
From 1968 to 1997, the Board consisted of 21 members. With municipal amalgamations during the late 1990s and the removal of provincial representation in 1996, today’s Board of Directors is comprised of 10 members representing the 7 municipalities. Large municipalities with a population over 10,000 have two seats on the Board.